Powered By Blogger

Saturday, November 6, 2010

November already?

Thought I'd post something sooner but been too busy with other stuff. I did want to thank folks who showed up to our last KBEE meeting. There was a fine discussion on how beginning beekeepers best learn and how KBEE can play a role in assisting them in finding equipment, information or places to host a hive or two.  We also discussed hosting a series of meetings and screenings of the film, Vanishing of the Bees.
Another topic of discussion was about the way you orient your frames in your boxes and the importance of keeping your frames in order and to take care not to just randomly place the frames in your box wily-nily style. To a beginner like me, this was good information. A handout was passed around and I'll try to post it here once I figure out how. A suggestion to scan and send via e.mail sounded more promising. Let me know if you are interested in receiving this information.
Another topic was the pros and cons of wax or plastic foundations. This will be a post on it's own and will save it for later. The morning light is bright and I have way too much to do today. I will post more on the subject later.
Until then here's a link to a PBS video from their Nature series. Also a couple of links to other bee bloggers who are sharing the news about beekeeping. Enjoy and bee well !
The back of Xman's truck after removing a hive from underneath a deck. We bagged the comb after filling up the cooler and pots with honey drenched comb. Was a sweet mess for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment